TOP 10 IOT APP DEVELOPMENT PLATFORMS IN 2021
Your home has turned smart! Isn’t it? Now everything can now be connected with applications. The connected “smart home” is a good example of IoT in action and trend. We have not realized but far from being restricted to just the home, the Internet of Things can be found in the garb of devices, industries, and settings which have transformed our lives and made them simpler. If we simply put The Internet of Things (IoT) is how we present the digital connection of the universe with physical devices around us.
IoT Technology stack
There are several technologies involved while developing an IoT solution, as it is not just a product, but a combination of different technologies. From Device Hardware to Device Firmware to Connectivity to Cloud Platform to Cloud / Mobile Application, IoT solution development involves all.
One of the tech Stacks involved in IoT solutions is IoT Application development, which plays an important role as it is the interface from which the user controls and monitors various devices connected with IoT. An IoT cloud platform is a middleware, which sits between the IoT devices and Cloud applications, which enables building of Apps, hence IoT platforms are also called Application Enablement Platforms or AEPs.
An IoT Platform maintains data flow and collection of data generated from IoT devices and apps. Its main focus is on the collection, analysis, and operation of data. The apps developed are connected to the server through ethernets, Wi-Fi, or other cellular technologies. IoT platforms in a nutshell are IDEs (integrated development environments) that are decorated with various tools to facilitate IoT app development. This makes it easy for a developer to develop the best possible user interface for his application.
IMPORTANCE OF IOT PLATFORMS IN THE FIELD OF APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
IoT development platforms have become a huge demand when it comes to IoT mobile app development. The major reason behind this is that they provide the best possible environment for the development of the backend as well as the front end of an application.
Every IoT vending company has enriched its platform with the possible tools to facilitate the development of IoT mobile applications. The vendors are working daily to enhance the performance and output of their IoT platforms and lower the difficulties faced by developers in the development of a well-organized application.
ARCHITECTURE OF INTERNET OF THINGS (IOT)
The fundamental architecture of IoT consists of four layers of data processing.
- Data Gathering: This is the process of data input from the user’s end. The data entered is collected by the IoT application.
- Data Transmission: In this stage, the data is transmitted to the cloud or other storage servers through a connection of networks. This connection can be established using WiFi, GPRS, ethernet, etc.
- Data Processing: In this layer of IoT, data stored at the server is processed to generate the desired output for the user.
- Application Layer: This layer functions as the management layer for an application which includes data storage and display.
TYPES OF IoT PLATFORMS
- IoT Connectivity Management Platform: The name becomes self-explanatory as this platform is centred around user connectivity and the provision of hardware components that include microcontrollers, integrated circuits ( I.C), modules on boards(MOB), etc. The connectivity hardware includes ethernet cables, routers, LAN, etc
- IoT Device Management Platform: This platform ensures connectivity and safety and keeps the user aware of the device’s condition and updates.
- IoT Cloud Platform: This platform provides a basic infrastructure for data storage and processing. This platform is major support for the backend of an application.
- IoT App Enablement Platform: This helps the user to maintain all the necessities to remain connected and keep a watch over the working of the IoT Platform.
- IoT Advanced Analysis Platform: This is the major backend platform for heavy utility applications. It helps application that works on data gathering, artificial intelligence, statistical modelling, machine learning, and mass data harvesting.
Relationship between CLOUD platforms AND IoT
IoT makes a connection between all wireless devices and analyses input data to make smart decisions. Cloud platform provides the necessary tools and services to create IoT applications and is just the pathway to transfer and store IoT data.
TOP 10 IOT MOBILE APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT PLATFORMS
1) AMAZON WEB SERVICES (AWS):
AWS is one of the most well-structured IoT development platforms. It is basically an Integrated Development Environment with powerful tools for designing and managing all the functionalities desired in an application.
- Core Benefits: It allows unlimited local connections and the control is in the hand of the user through a central computing device. The connection can be established in an organized manner either wirelessly or by using ethernet or other connection cables.
- Major Use Areas: Its major application is in the office and household sector to make devices easily controlled and accessed
- Market Covered: It has a major market hold of 15.7% among major companies.
2) GOOGLE CLOUD IoT:
Google cloud is also a world leader in the field of IoT and Cloud Computing. It is so because it allows users to connect from all over the world which makes it a very highly demanded platform when it comes to online application developments.
- Core Benefits: It provides a very crucial facility, that is, it allows devices to connect from all over the world through the internet and other wireless connection modules. This helps in establishing a global connection between computers.
- Major Use Areas: It meets all the requirements for online and multiple connectivity app developments, that connect globally and the number of connections can be either limited or unlimited
- Market Covered: It possesses a total market stake of about 11.27% which makes it a well-recognized IOT development platform.
3) MICROSOFT AZURE IOT:
Microsoft provides Azure IOT Suite and Hub to facilitate developers with the creation of applications and analysis of real-time data. It is also an IDE that has many tools but the most unique functionality of this platform is that it allows the developer to work with multiple operating systems at a single time.
- Core Benefits: This also provides a well-structured IDE( Integrated Development Environment) for quick and better development of the front end and back end of an application. Another great feature of Azure is that it provides the developer flexibility to work with multiple platforms at a single time.
- Major Use Areas: Its major demand is among the high application developing companies that work on AI or Machine Learning
- Market Covered: It holds a total market cover of about 17%.
4) CISCO IOT PLATFORM:
Cisco is also one of the renowned platforms when it comes to cloud computing and IoT development. It has a very basic but strong cloud-based data storage structure which helps to analyze and produce real-time results
- Core Benefits: It provides the developer with multiple functionalities that include network connectivity, data analysis, data harvesting, application enablement, management, and automation.
- Major Use Areas: It is used in the field of automation engineering, data harvesting, and analysis
- Market Covered: It holds a market share of about 10.96%
5) HP ENTERPRISE UNIVERSAL IOT PLATFORM:
It is also a major application designing feature that helps the developer to establish a connection between himself and his users through a well-organized user interface. The uniqueness of this platform is that has excellent security features that provide security against any anti-development means that can harm either application data or user information.
- Core Benefits: It provides the user to work in a secure environment. Also, it has well managed GUI that facilitates easy and quick application development. It is known for its versatility and accurate data analysis.
- Major Use Areas: It is like Google cloud used for the development of applications that focus on online users. The security feature provides needed support for online application development.
- Market Covered: It has a market cover of nearly 7.65%.
6) IBM-WATSON IOT DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM:
It has a proper suggestion feature for better application development and easy GUI development. The suggestion feature gives developers proper advice about how to develop the best possible application to meet the desired set of requirements.
- Core Benefits: It has great benefits when it comes to data harvesting, storage, and analysis. It provides a great backend cloud-based infrastructure for better storage and handling of user data.
- Major Use Areas: It is used in the development of major applications that target data harvesting and analysis. It has excellent data analysis algorithms that help the developer to be tension-free regarding application outputs.
- Market Covered: It has a market share of about 5.69%.
7) PREDIX IOT DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM:
It has many features designed to facilitate the creation of industrial IoT. The IoT app development tools are specially designed for creating applications that are best in terms of cloud storage and analysis of business or algorithm-related data.
- Core Benefits: It has powerful tools which focus on providing a great application development interface for industrial application development. The apps mainly target business data handling and analysis.
- Major Use Areas: It is used in industrial and business application development industries to facilitate data storage, analysis, and harvesting.
- Market Covered: It has a market stake of about 5.68%.
8) THINGWORX IOT PLATFORM:
It is one of the most powerful IoT app development platforms enriched with excellent GUI and powerful development tools. The pellet is designed with such quality that it provides tools that basically focus on IoT mobile application development.
- Core Benefits: It has powerful tools for IoT application development. It has an embedded pellet that focuses on microcontrollers only and as a result, delivers an output, especially addressing mobile users.
- Major Use Area: It is used by firms that only target mobile application development as their users. The utility of this platform is unmatched in the field of microprocessor application development.
- Market Covered: It has covered nearly 4.8% of the market.
9) QUALCOMM’S IOT DEVELOPMENT KIT:
When it comes to this platform it is a major leader in the field of hardware and software connectivity. It has made module and IC programming very accessible and easy to control. The connection between hardware and software becomes easy with a good level of programming.
- Core Benefits: It has tools that focus on hardware devices along with software. The pellet is embedded with various module programming languages to facilitate development.
- Major Use Areas: Used in mainly remote security devices and sensor-connected analyzing systems that produce a prefixed cloud-stored result for different operations.
- Market Covered: It covers a market margin of about 4.58%.
10) Particle Iot Platform:
Particle provides IoT solutions for hardware, connectivity, device cloud, and apps. For connectivity, it provides three products i.e. Cellular, Wi-Fi, and Mesh. As an IoT software, it provides Device OS, Device Cloud, IoT Rules Engine, and developer tools.
- Core benefits: This platform can be used by anyone. No need for expertise. It provides a firewall-protected cloud and can work with data even if it is on Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud etc.
- Major use areas: Light electric vehicle, HVAC system, Smart energy equipment
- Market Covered: It has covered nearly 0.5% of the market.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE SELECTING AN IOT PLATFORM:
Before selecting an IoT platform the user must sort out his priorities and needs. In accordance with the requirements, the IoT platform must be selected. Also, the capacity and skills of the developer must be taken into account and the budget of the project must be considered before selecting an IoT platform. At last, we can say that INTERNET OF THINGS (IoT) development platforms are the global leaders when it comes to mobile application development.
If you are looking for the best IOT mobile App development services then PsiBorg Technologies is the appropriate place to get you started, they have the expertise in working with various IoT Platforms and have created many applications for different IoT implementations. They create IoT Mobile applications for all your IoT requirements and help in accelerating your IoT Business Growth.
Get in touch with them now to develop your Startup/Business in IoT-specific areas in order to capitulate a broad and fit-to-purpose solution that would be a technical empowering decision for your enterprise.