EXPLORING MACHINE TO MACHINE TECHNOLOGY
Machine to machine (M2M) is a comprehensive concept that can be used to describe any technology that allows networked devices to exchange information and inform actions automatically without human interference. M2M communication devices system is standalone network equipment that uses point-to-point communication between machines, sensors and hardware. Today, M2M is among the fastest-growing technologies because it can connect millions of devices within a single network.
WORKING OF M2M
M2M technology’s purpose is to collect the data from sensors and transmit them to the cloud. It uses a mobile network for transmission purposes, which makes it a cost-effective technology. The working of M2M is that the data is collected from the device sensors, sent to the cloud via mobile towers.
COMMUNICATION BETWEEN MACHINE TO MACHINE CONNECTED DEVICES
The interaction between systems is carried out by artificial intelligence and machine learning, enabling them to make their autonomous decisions. It includes a wireless network in the industrial IoT, and since it is wireless, more applications can be connected. M2M virtually enables any sensor to communicate, and the systems monitor themselves and automatically respond. Any two or more machines wired or wirelessly can communicate with one another. The data is stored and translated to help in automatic actions. A vending machine can alert the distributor’s network when a particular item runs out of stock and sends a refill. M2M communication devices are vital in supply chain management and warehouse management systems.
M2M technology comes with numerous benefits; some of them are: ... M2M technology is cost-effective and easy to maintain.The equipment maintenance is secure, which means the chances of downtime are meager Increases the business process.Customer service has improved.Proactive monitoring of devices.
APPLICATIONS OF M2M TECHNOLOGY
M2M technology is designed with the purpose of monitoring devices remotely. Some of the applications where M2M technology is used are:
- M2M technology in vending machines can be suitable for sending information whenever there is a shortage of items.
- Warehouse and supply chain management systems are one of the best examples where M2M technology is applied
- In industries, M2M technology is used for detecting factors affecting operations on work sites like temperature, equipment etc.
- In the medical sector, technology is used to monitor patients’ health in real-time.
- Digital payment gateways use M2M technology.
- M2M technology is also used in the field of robotics, traffic control, fleet management, etc.
What is the difference between IoT and M2M?
- M2M makes use of point-to-point communication between sensors, hardware and more over wired or wireless network whereas IoT systems rely on internet protocol (IP) address to send data collected to cloud or gateways.
- M2M Communication impacts businesses whereas IoT impacts users. IoT transforms enterprises meanwhile M2M impacts management applications.Difference between IoT and M2M
What are the examples of m2m communication?
Machine-to-machine communication makes the Internet of Things possible. From PLC to Vending machines to medical equipment to various low power Wide area sensor networks, there are many applications.
How m2m is different from wireless sensor network?
Both M2M and WSNS are networks that allow devices to communicate with each other over wireless channels. Both are subsets of IoT. WSN is an application of m2m communication.
Are IoT and M2M same?
IoT includes a technology stack and m2m is one of the subsets of IoT. So basically, m2m communication is data transfer between two devices without human intervention, for example if a smoke sensor is sending an alert to a gateway, then there is m2m communication between sensor unit and gateway.