Founded and developed by Sigfox, LPWAN is a communication medium between connected devices. The main feature of LPWAN is that it allows communication at a low bit rate among the devices spread over an ample geographical space.
LPWAN is a name given to a group of communication technologies (Sub 1GHz, NB-IoT, LTE CAT M, ZIGBEE) which are used to connect devices, sensors, actuators, controllers, etc. The purpose of developing a low power wide area network is to provide a communication medium for the IoT network which consumes less power and low data rate.
TYPES OF LPWAN
Sub-1 GHz RF
As the name suggests, sub 1 GHz RF works on low-frequency ranges which are less than 1 GHz. It is operated in the ISM spectrum which has a frequency range below 1 GHz. Mainly this technology is useful for applications based on RF IoT. Some of its benefits include:
- Sub 1 GHz RF provides a longer range using the same output power. It can cover a distance of more than 100 km because of its long-range.
- Ultra-low power consumption.
- Power to handle interference in a better way.
NB-IoT or Narrowband IoT LTE is the LPWAN technology which works independently. It allows deployment of IoT devices in large numbers. Typically, NB-IoT is used to transmit data with limited frequency. If a message is transmitted over NB-IoT, then it will consume low bandwidth. Some benefits of NB-IoT are:
- Consumes less power.
- Reliable to use.
- Allows mass deployment of devices.
- Good choice for embedded sensors.
LTE CAT-M1 or LTE-M
CAT M is another LPWAN technology which uses 1.4 MHz bandwidth for operation. It allows more overall data rates, position accuracy and lower latency. It supports mobility mode and voice calls. Some of the benefits of CAT M are:
- The peak data rate is 375kbps.
- Support VoLTE function
- Full mobility support available.
- In-band LTE mode of operation.
ZIGBEE networks are operated on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard. It is suitable for high-level communication protocol. It is basically designed for IoT projects which are developed on a small scale for personal use such as home automation where wireless connectivity is essential. The benefits of ZIGBEE are:
- It supports more than one network topology.
- Long battery life
- Direct sequence spread spectrum
- Low latency
LoRaWAN is a globally known standard for LPWAN Networks, which is based on LoRa technology. The LoRaWAN standard for LPWAN networks is developed for establishing a connection between devices that are operated with batteries. The LoRaWAN provides information transmission in a very smooth way over the internet between smart devices without complex installations. Some of the benefits of LoRaWAN are:
- The device connected through the LoRaWAN network can transmit information from a distance ranging from 1 km to 10km.
- It provides high-security data encryption because of the use of AES128 between network servers and end nodes.
- Thousands of devices can get connected with a single Lora Gateway.
- It uses low bandwidth because of adaptive data rates.
- The simple architecture of LoRaWAN makes it easy to deploy.
BENEFITS OF LPWAN
LPWAN technology has the following benefits:
- Less power consumption: LPWAN works on Ultra-low power consumption.
- Long distance transmission : LPWAN allows device communication upto 20 km.
- Long battery life: LPWAN consumes low power which means that the device battery will run for more than 10 years.
- Reduced Gateways: Less gateways are used for communication s as LPWAN allows device communication in more considerable distances.
LPWAN technology is a fantastic technology which is changing the way of communication between IoT devices. If you have a project where LPWAN technology is required, then PsiBorg can help you out. We are a team of experienced developers with profound knowledge of integrating various LPWAN technologies. Connect with us today for more information.